The Higher Education System of Qatar
The Supreme Education Council manages the higher education system in Qatar. In Qatar, formal higher education was started in 1970s.
Higher education institutions in Qatar are classified as private, national or branch campuses. The University of Qatar, established in 1973 is the oldest higher education institution in Qatar. This higher education institution offers a wide range of programmes at undergraduate and postgraduate level. The university has faculties of engineering, social sciences, education, Islamic studies, humanities, and sciences. The university also has a regional training centre that was formed in 1979, and a language teaching institute that was established in 1972. In Qatar, many universities from around the world have opened their campuses.
Higher Education Qualifications
The undergraduate degree in Qatar is bachelor’s degree.
- Duration: 4 years (5 years in case of pharmacy and architecture)
- No. of semesters: 8
- No. of credits: 120
- Title: Bachelor of Science/ Bachelor of Arts
- Duration: 1-2 years
- No. of credits: 33-36
A doctorate is rare postgraduate offering in Qatar. It is only offered by Qatar University.
The Education City is situated on the outskirts of Doha. This city is developed for modern higher education facilities. This is the part of the Qatar foundation for education, science and community development.
Universities in Education City
- Weill Cornell Medical College
- Carnegie Mellon University
- Georgetown University School of Foreign Service
- Texas A & M University
- Virginia Commonwealth School of the Arts
- Northwestern University
- Faculty of Islamic Studies
- HEC Paris
- Hamad bin Khalifa "college of science" Energy & Resources"
Other Universities in Qatar
- University of Calgary - Qatar
- College of North Atlantics
Source: Supreme Education Council
Admissions to University Level Studies
Students must hold a secondary education credential-Thanawaya Aam Qatari for admission into the university-level studies. For detailed information on the admission requirements for undergraduate and graduate studies in Qatar, click here
List of Higher Education Institutions in Qatar
Qatari Higher Education Institutions
- Hamad bin Khalifa University
- Qatar University
Foreign University Campuses in Qatar
- Academic Bridge Programme
- Texas A&M University at Qatar
- College of North Atlantic Qatar
- Stenden University Qatar
- HEC Paris
- Weill Cornell Medical College in Qatar
- University College London Qatar
- Syscoms Institute
- Northwestern University in Qatar
- Carnegie Mellon University in Qatar
- University of Calgary Qatar
- Georgetown University School of Foreign Service in Qatar
- Virginia Commonwealth University in Qatar
- Qatar Foundation For Education, Science and Community